9 Jan 2017

Meet The Maker Monday - Introducing Harriet Ward from The Sewing Ward

At Hand Made Yorkshire, we thought it was about time we introduced you to our designer makers, their wonderful hand crafted items and where you can find them.

So, without further ado, let me introduce you to our first contributor to MEET THE MAKER MONDAY,  Harriet Ward owner of The Sewing Ward based in Scruton, Northallerton, North Yorkshire 




Harriet has been a designer maker for 11 years in the sewing industry, 3 years ish self employed

Here’s what she told me:


What do you do/make?
Clothing alterations, sew to order, I teach sewing and run workshops and work on my own children’s wear brand Betty&Bob (this part is very much at the beginning after introducing in October)


How did you become a designer/maker?

 Its a way of life, went to uni studied fashion, worked in sewing industry in various jobs went back to uni part time to graduate with a teaching degree, had children and now use all my qualifications and life experience to run my unique sewing business

How did you choose your business name and what’s the meaning behind it?

Last name Ward, also a ward on a hospital where you need help so a play on words The Sewing Ward a place for all your sewing needs. (hope ive explained this so you understand it)



Do you run your business full time or balance another job as well?

Balance with children once youngest is at school in September ill be 9-3.30 and occasional evenings/weekends



How do you make time for it all?

Cups of tea, chocolate, tears, laughter and never do my hair! Lol


What’s your favourite thing about running your business?

 I'm free to be me!

Of all the things you’ve ever made, which has been your favourite?

 I couldn’t possible pin it down to one creative thing. I have made 2 beautiful children I’m pretty proud of.



I have a love hate relationship with?

 Technology

I love?
 Vintage, retro, sewing, crafting, uniqueness, creativeness, absolutely everything inspires me and I see things very differently to a lot of people.

What inspires you? 
Everything




You can find Harriet in the following places.

and generally running round like a mad woman aspiring to be a super woman!

Tel: 07846990742


Facebook: The Sewing Ward

Thank you so much Harriet for showing us your wonderful hand crafted items and being the first contributor to Meet the Maker Monday. Your work is certainly unique and inspiring. 

Warm wishes and happy crafting
Sue xox

REMEMBER: Sharing is caring. Please help support our Designer Makers by sharing and/or commenting on this post - Thank you xox


No comments:

Post a Comment